Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Week 3: Clarifications and Notes


Gullah Baptism, James E. St. Claire



























Just a reminder or two--

Be sure to complete all the downloads. They're now more accessible on box.
-- The main new one for this week (Week 3) is Work Songs / Spirituals / Gospel,
but I want you to have downloaded the other three as well.
-- You all already have the S&P CD (our 30 basic songs)--lyrics in TAN songbook. These you should know by heart!
-- S&P Extra Songs includes the additional songs in TAN songbook (titles are marked in italics)
-- S&P Supplements includes songs in your GRAY songbook.

The Extra Songs and Supplements will figure throughout the course. A lot of material. We'll do as many as we can--it's a good collection, and I want you to "absorb" them--by listening and singing--gradually, over the course of the semester.

ALSO--on Thursday I may ask you to answer a few questions about this week's material--the spirituals, work songs and gospel. Things you'll know easily assuming you're paying attention as we go along...

Tony

_____

Hello again-

There seems to be a question going around about the project for this week. Read my blog posts carefully--I assume you'll do a project to pin-up each week. That should be clear now--for coming weeks.... However, this week might be a good time to pin up your "evidence" and sources--a collage of what you've been looking at relative to Week 3...

I don't always spell out what the week's project is. But in the course requirements it says quite plainly that we do one each week, based on song(s) of the week. You'll see that some projects are more intensive (time wise) than others--there's a rhythm to how you work. But you should pin something up each week...!


Again, Weeks 3&4:

Week 3 is Spirituals / Work Songs / Gospel in breadth. The download and videos are posted on blog to give you range and background. I said pick one song to concentrate on for project--but you can show "evidence" work instead for this week... Week 4 will be one song in particular--in its depth and meanings.

So--always bring something to pin up each week, working from new song(s) for the week...

Tony  (Captain of PT 170...)

No comments:

Post a Comment